Not all synthetic fragrances are created equal, however some synthetic fragrances can cause irritation, so it’s always good to be aware, here are a few reasons why we only use essential oils in our aromatherapy candles.
- Allergic Reactions: Synthetic fragrances can trigger allergic reactions in some individuals. Common symptoms include skin irritation, redness, itching, sneezing, coughing, and difficulty breathing. People with pre-existing allergies or sensitivities are particularly susceptible to these reactions.
- Environmental Impact: Many synthetic fragrances are derived from petrochemicals, which are non-renewable resources. The extraction and production processes of these chemicals can contribute to pollution and environmental degradation. When these fragrances are washed off and enter the waterways, they can also have detrimental effects on aquatic life.
- Respiratory Issues: Synthetic fragrances emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can irritate the respiratory system. Prolonged exposure to these VOCs may lead to respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory disorders.
- Hormone Disruption: Some synthetic fragrances contain phthalates, which are chemicals used to enhance the longevity of the scent. Phthalates have been linked to hormone disruption and reproductive issues. They can mimic or interfere with hormones in the body, potentially affecting fertility, development, and overall endocrine function.
- Lack of Ingredient Transparency: Manufacturers are not required to disclose the specific ingredients used in fragrance formulations due to trade secret protections. This lack of transparency makes it challenging for consumers to make informed choices and assess the safety of the products they use.
- Sensory Overload: Synthetic fragrances are omnipresent in many products, including personal care items, cleaning products, and household goods. The cumulative effect of exposure to multiple synthetic fragrances can contribute to sensory overload, leading to headaches, migraines, and general discomfort for some individuals.
- Environmental Sensitivities: Certain individuals may experience heightened sensitivity to synthetic fragrances, resulting in symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. This condition, known as multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), can significantly impact daily life and make it challenging to be in environments where synthetic fragrances are prevalent.
It’s important to note that not all synthetic fragrances pose the same level of risk, and some individuals may not experience any adverse effects. However, these problems highlight the potential concerns associated with the use of synthetic fragrances and the importance of considering alternatives, such as natural fragrances or essential oils, for those who are sensitive or concerned about these issues.